There are several common AWG cable types to choose from to best suit your Ethernet connectivity application. This week we will review some of the major advantages of 24 AWG cabling.
The benefits of the 24 AWG cable:
- Longer Distance - Compared to 26 AWG cable, 24 AWG cable can be used for distances (before adding a repeater) up to 90 meters, whereas 26 AWG cable only supports 68 meters.
- Larger Diameter Conductor -The larger diameter of 24 AWG cable makes for a stronger conductor which is a benefit when being pulled on during installation or when routed through machines and other equipment
- Lower attenuation - Since the 24 AWG conductor is larger than 26 AWG cable, it has lower attenuation over length properties
- Better Connection - The larger copper conductor/strand of 24 AWG cable means there is more copper for the pins of an IDC (insulation displacement connector-like an RJ45) to "bite" into. This results in better connector retention and durability
- PoE Support - 24 AWG enhances the ability to run POE (Power over Ethernet) thicker copper = less resistance = longer distance and less heat
Below we have listed some of our best selling 24 AWG cable assemblies